Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Given change in Florida (by Faith)


Recognizing people making change is kind of like the time my parents bought a new car. I never really saw that kind of car on the road, but as soon as we got one, it seemed like I saw them everywhere! Now that I am more aware, I seem to see kindness more than ever before.

Last week my family and I went to Florida for the Thanksgiving holiday. We rode bikes to our favorite ice cream shop, and since the weather was so nice, we sat down to eat our delicious treats. My brother finished his ice cream first, so he went to ride around on his bike while he waited for everyone else. He happened to crash right in front of some people, which started a conversation. They were from Missouri, we were from Texas, and we met in Florida- how cool is that?

As we talked, we told them about our trip to India. After hearing about the work we are doing there, they scrambled through their wallets, each pulling out money to donate. They started handing the money to my mom, then stopped and laughed, handing it to me instead. Looking me in the eyes, they made me promise that I was going to use the money for the kids in India. I promised I would as I gave them each a big hug and a thank you.

We talked for about another hour (thanks to my mom) and then we left. The experience was special because total strangers not only opened their wallets to give to a cause they just learned about, but they trusted me to do the right thing with the money. Beyond that, they made sure they knew our names so we could be included in their prayers.

Our new Missouri friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment